Thursday, May 1, 2008

Getting it right at The Star

My editorial writing coach, Barbara Shelly, thinks my second write-up was much more improved than the first. She has been asking me to put my opinion/argument right at the top of the editorial. So she had fewer changes to make in the editorial, which spelt out the agenda for Kenya's news coalition cabinet that has now helped restore political stability in the east African nation.

Just as I was packing my bags to relocate to features section last week, I bumped into an opportunity to contribute to the sports section's soccer stories. Chatting with Matt Schofield of the National Desk, a staunch supporter of relegation-threatened English Premier League club Reading, we thought it was important to have the section - shorn of soccer news - to have some bit of the sport coverage.

Consequently, Matt asked me to do a review of Europe's Champions League soccer that was at the semi finals stage for the last couple of weeks. My first and second write-ups elicited encouraging comments from readers, prompting Matt to suggest that we go big on covering of the Euro Cup that begins on June 7.

Through the soccer stories, I have made friends with the local Major League Soccer team, the Kansas City Wizards, who have lined up a lunch date for Matt and me on Monday next week. I also learnt that our very own Susan Albrecht (Executive Director, AFPF) and Sopan Joshi (The Washington Post) are good soccer fans. Not to forget Deepak Adhikari (the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) who kept calling me for the score line because he did not have access to the TV channel that was screening the matches. I am sure they are happy that Manchester United are on course for a Champions League and Premier League double. Watch out!

In my last blog post, I hinted that I was working on a report that looked like a promising big news story for The Kansas City Star. Done jointly with immigration reporter Lynn Franey, a good soccer fan as well, the report was published on page one. You need to read it because it affects AFPF in some way.

I am currently under the training arms of deputy features editor Keith Robison. He is a nice man who is keen on offering me the best interviewing, writing and editing tips. The first day we spoke, and after listening to my story ideas, he promised to ensure one of the stories goes on to page one so I can learn how they do it. But I needed to talk to key sources of a story I was following. I have completed the assignment.

In my short stint in The Star newsroom, I have learnt that writers respect page one, making it the envy of each one of them. I have already submitted my first story to Keith, who has recommended it for usage next week. But in journalism, you can only celebrate when you see your story used in the paper since it can be "killed" for many reasons. I plan to be at the features section for the whole of May.

I am keen, after that, to get serious on the Op-Ed and online sections, where I could spend most of the second half of my fellowship. I am likely to attend one or two workshops on the emerging media (online and electronic) to acquire some skills my home media house is interested in.
Outside of the newsroom, I have been having lots of fun.

The other day, accompanied by my mentor Mara Rose Williams, I went to speak to Truman High school journalism class students. The youngsters, who appeared to know Kenya only from a January discussion over the post-election turmoil in that country, enjoyed the talk. They were stunned by pictures of the horrifying killings that took place in my country, but all of them agreed they felt more determined to walk the path of journalism career.

I was particularly impressed by a girl named Chelsea (who has visited Kenya’s neighbor Tanzania) who asked mature questions relating to journalism in my country. Then, the girl whose name reminded me of English soccer club Chelsea, asked to explain the differences I had, so far, noted between the practice of journalism in the US and in Kenya. The students appeared to me to know more than their age would suggest.

Having known how to drive myself around Kansas City, I am realizing that this city is nearly similar to my Eldoret town in Kenya - less traffic jam, largely green and a welcoming people. But I am sure they would not fight, in case the November elections go awry like it happened in Eldoret late last year.

Last Friday, I went to a concert of jazz band music and felt like it should go on the whole night. A Kansas City Star reporter, Lee Hill Kavanaugh, was one of the musicians. Senior editor Randy Smith and I left feeling more fresh than when we went in.

I expect fellows Ivan (St. Louis Post-Dispatch) and Andrew (The Baltimore Sun) to visit me over this weekend. I have lined up a series of fun things around, besides cooking nice Kenyan food for them.

And, now, May has come.

4 comments:

Roush said...

Samuel,

Great stuff in your blog.. While Major League Soccer is not necessarily the same caliber of football as the Barclay's Premier League, it's a brand all its own. If you really want to get a taste of proper American Soccer traditions, you should make it a point to come back to a Wizards game and stop by one of the many fan tailgates. While it's different in many respects from the pre-game gatherings in other countries, you'll still find a huge gathering of soccer fans there.

SAMUEL SIRINGI'S BLOG said...

Roush,
Thanks for your comment. I am planning to come to the Wizard's next home game in June. I liked the first one a lot where the teams settled for a 0-0 result. I looked at the fixtures and I know there is no other home game before next month. Next time, I want to be right in the middle of the singing fans. Many thanks.
Sam

Katie Rudolph said...

Sounds like you are keeping busy! I am looking forward to coming out there in a few weeks and to meeting all these wonderful people you've been blogging about!

SAMUEL SIRINGI'S BLOG said...

Katie,
People at The Star are wonderful. I made so many friends in my first one month here that I do not know who to line up for our "small" meeting when your come. Either way, you will like them, no question about it. Karibu (welcome) to Kansas City.