Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Meeting obstacles but reading opportunities

I spent the Independence Day weekend with my cousin Charles at his house in Dallas, Texas. Besides adding another city to my growing list of places that I have been to during my fellowship, the weekend helped me reunite with a man I last saw in 1996 when he left Kenya. I was then doing my first year of my undergraduate degree course. We shared a lot with his family, including his son, Nyang’au, who is nearly the age of my own, Neville.

Upon my return to Kansas City, another trip was waiting. The Keystone Multimedia Workshop, organized by the Pennsylvania Newspapers Association, was running between July 10 and 13 in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

But I had to, first, fly to Pittsburgh City where colleague Deepak Adhikari (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) would be my overnight host. My flight landed at the local airport at 10.15 p.m. and I gladly found Deepak waiting at the passenger pick-up area, with a Nepalese friend Kissor. They drove me to Deepak’s nice apartment in downtown. To my pleasant surprise, he had prepared a fantastic dinner – the Nepalese way. I enjoyed the food, which Deepak joked was a nice treat on my birthday.

The following day, July 10, we were driven to Gettyburg (well-known as the grounds for the American Civil War) by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette multimedia journalist Melissa Tkach.

Before the workshop, I had spent a day shuttling The Star’s multimedia reporter Dave Helling to a function at Independence, Missouri, where Democrat presidential nominee Barack Obama spoke. I observed how he shot the video and how it is later posted in the paper’s website.

But at the workshop, there were many things to learn. In fact, had I attended the such a workshop two months earlier, I would have done two things differently: One, I would have bought a Macintosh lab top that, I realized, works well with computer software that supports video and slide shows. Secondly, I would have bought a recorder that picks better sound, and one that easily downloads audio into the computer.

Flaws of my gadgets were heavily exposed at the training, where I had to rely on computer and recorder of another participant, Cosmas Akuta, a Nigerian with American citizenship. Trainers were, however, good enough to teach me how to download some of the usable programs that are used to edit audio. But the downloads would only be valid for a month, meaning I must decide whether to pay about $900 to purchase new ones.

At the training, I learned how to shoot and edit pictures - both for video and still. I learned the best software that would be used to edit and post the pictures and slide shows.

As well, I was given tips on good microphones for sound recording, besides how to get good quality sound from interviewees.

But the workshop was not without flaws of its own. Deepak and I were the only ones to have come from the outside of Pennsylvania. Other participants were from the state, meaning they knew well their way around. In fact, most of them came with their own cars. Yet, the organizers did not make arrangements that would ensure we had a means to travel to downtown where we were to shoot our assignments. But Akuta helped us move around.

Although participants had different levels of knowledge on multi-media aspects, trainers failed to factor that into their workshop. Since I was a neophyte in shooting video and preparing slides, I felt I needed more personal attention than I got.

Although I met obstacles in the workshop, I saw even more opportunities on how traditional print journalists can use new media to enhance newspaper web sales.

1 comment:

Youlee said...

Your positive attitued is an inspiration! I love the way you bump up against difficulties, but find a productive way around them.
And as far as your transport difficulties in Gettysburg, unfortunately, in the US when events take place outside major cities organizers almost always assume that you will have a car - either one you own or one hired for the event. If there is not public transportation available organizers should make this clear to the participants!
Julie -AFPF-